I have discovered over the years, that life can be challenging. God desires to sustain us as we look for "splashes of His grace" every day. My desire is that through posts, or book reviews, you may find something that points you to the grace of God, and that He ultimately will make a difference in your life.

Thursday, November 1, 2018

A Tribute to Precious

It’s just a Dog ………That’s what I used to think. I didn’t really want to get a dog. I didn’t want the hassle. I didn’t want the mess. I didn’t want the extra cost. I didn’t want another responsibility. I DIDN’T NEED A DOG!!!

And then she showed up -- waiting at the airport on our return from a mission trip to Brazil. She was so tiny you could fit her in the palm of one hand. So small that she almost disappeared in the grass if it hadn't been mowed. She took those little paws and stepped all over my hard heart. Her sweet tongue planted “kisses” on my soul.

Our daughter, Rachel, named her Precious. And she lived up to her name.

Precious Dec. 2002 (6 months old)


Through the years I discovered she was MORE than just a dog. She became part of our family. She taught us about unconditional love -- her love for us, and our unconditional love for her when she chewed on things, got into the garbage, was a little terror, and had accidents on the floor!

She brought joy, laughter, and activity to our home. She would often run FAST in circles around the house for no reason. Other times, if she had something she shouldn’t have, she would run hard and then slide under the big chair in our living room, or under our baker’s rack in the kitchen. She’d think “you can’t find me here”, but she was wrong! That was the perfect place for us to retrieve the forbidden item from her! She never learned that fact!

She also brought a sense of peace and calm to our home. She would simply curl up next to you and let you pet her till your day's stresses were released.


She had some quirks too. One of them was her obsessive licking! She’d especially like to lick the air. When you’d pick her up and put her in your lap, she would start licking the air and then proceed to lick you, the couch, and her own paws before settling down. But once she settled, her little sigh brought a sense of calm and peace as she tucked her little head under your arm or leg.

Another quirk was the way she would cock her head from side to side when you’d talk to her -- like she’d be trying to figure out what in the world you were saying to her. And boy did she LOVE her treats!


She defied death several times. The first time  was when she ate a quarter of a jumbo Hershey’s kiss. She was less than a year old and we came home to a chocolate faced pup. She should have died with all the chocolate she consumed. But she didn’t. Then there were the cancers at 6 years old that the vet warned us would probably return with a chance of them returning internally. They didn’t. There were pizza crusts she dug out of the trash and nearly choked on. Times she ran out into the street and could have been hit by a car. But God protected her because He knew we needed her. I needed her.


Precious after her surgery


She’d know it was almost time for Stephen to get home when I started to cook dinner. She would go to the door and lay down and wait till he arrived home. When I’d hear the garage door opening I’d say, “Daddy’s home!” and she’d get all excited and jump around till he came in the door. Speaking of doors, you could never leave one open. She’d dash out any chance she could and then you’d play “catch me if you can”.  She also loved sitting on the back of the couch. There’s still a sunken imprint up there even though she’s been unable to climb on the couch for years.

She loved Stephen’s mom, Alice. She was the one who “rescued” her when she was watching our kids while we were in Brazil. Since Alice was the first one to “bond” with her, Precious remembered her every time she came to visit. She only got THAT excited with Alice. She would start jumping on her, jumping up on the back of the couch and around Alice’s head (while licking of course). Even in her later years when Precious could no longer jump up on her, she would hobble up to her and wag her tail and try to lick her!

Our three kids LOVED Precious. She taught them to be gentle and kind. She comforted them in times of distress or sadess. She was a friend, a playmate, another “sister.”  She played a unique and special role in all three of our children’s lives. Rachel would often dress her up in costumes.  The best one was a princess dress with little slippers that Precious hated. She would walk and shake her paws. It was hilarious!!


Princess Precious























The grandkids loved her too. She was so patient with them. One of the first words our sweet Elizabeth learned was “gog”. They will miss her too.






For Stephen, she was his early morning buddy and a calming presence after a long stressful day. He loved his “little squirrel” deeply. He’s a strong man, but she wrapped her little tail around his heart and he fell for her sweet ways. She loved to lay near him on the couch in the evening. She was a comfort to him after dealing with the hurts, needs, struggles, and weight of the ministry.



To me, she was my companion, and my “baby” especially when the kids all left home. Through the years when I was cuddling with her, my kids would jokingly say, “I thought you didn’t want a dog!” She melted my stone-cold heart over these past 16 ½ years. She comforted me in times of deep sadness. She was my confidant when I had to share things that I could tell no one else. She sat patiently through the many tears I shed. She’d look at me like she truly understood the pain I was feeling. She was by my side when I’d get up on many sleepless nights. She’d make me laugh with her antics when she was young and taught me to be compassionate in her later years when she became so frail that she could barely walk or stand. She was my “sweet girl”.  I knew she was “just a dog” but I learned she was more than that. She became a part of me. Though her hair had turned grey, and her steps were shaky, she still had the same sweet disposition. I will miss her terribly.


October 2018

When I woke up this morning, before I even got out of bed, my first thought was “she’s gone”.  I got up and saw her empty bowls that don’t need to be filled any more, and her little empty doggie bed and my heart was sad and the tears flowed. I realized though that a part of her will always be here with us in the memories we have of her. It won’t be the same around here, and it will definitely be difficult for a while, but I’m just glad that God knew all along that I DID need her. God reminded me yesterday that He sees when each sparrow falls, so I believe He saw her, and us, as she left this life last night.

Thank you, "Sweet Girl", for being so Precious to us all those years. 

We will always love you. 
You will certainly be missed!

2 comments:

  1. Such a sweet tribute! I’m so sorry for the loss but grateful for you and your families sweet memories. So glad God had Precious for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So great to hear all about what she meant to you ... a vivid example of unconditional love ❤️

    ReplyDelete