I have discovered over the years, that life can be challenging. God desires to sustain us as we look for "splashes of His grace" every day. My desire is that through posts, or book reviews, you may find something that points you to the grace of God, and that He ultimately will make a difference in your life.

Monday, April 18, 2011

The Part-Time Vegan by Cherise Grifoni

I have no desire to become a vegetarian, but the idea of "Meatless Mondays" was an interesting concept as my husband and I have started to make healthier choices in our eating habits. I'm all for fresh fruits and vegetables and believed this cookbook might enable us to get ideas on how to use these items in new ways.

The Part-Time Vegan: 201 Ymmy Recipes The Put the FUN in Flexitarian, by Cherise Grifoni, is an attempt to provide recipes for vegetarians, or those who may want to try it "part-time." Though the author tried to take a light-hearted approach in the introduction, I was a little surprised in her use of language in a couple of instances. I also found it interesting that those who are so opposed to eating meat have come up with all sorts of "substitutes" that are served in a meat-like form.

The cookbook was divided into the usual categories like Appetizers, Salads, Soups, Desserts, etc. along with sections for Tofu, Seitan, TVP, and Tempeh. It also included 11 complete Dinner Plans.  Some recipes looked interesting and worth trying, while some of the more "vegan" ones using seitan, TVP or Tempeh will probably be passed on. I was also surprised that there were no photos of any of the food prepared except for the few on the cover.

Will I be able to use any of the 201 recipes in this cookbook?  Yes.  Will it be my "go-to" cookbook, probably not, but it would be a good choice for someone who is more serious about becoming a vegetarian and willing to try to find some of the more unusal ingredients needed to cook as a true vegan.

I received a complementary copy of this book from the publisher through the BookSneeze.com book review blogger program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”




No comments:

Post a Comment