I have discovered over the years, that life can be challenging. God desires to sustain us as we look for "splashes of His grace" every day. My desire is that through posts, or book reviews, you may find something that points you to the grace of God, and that He ultimately will make a difference in your life.

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Dangerous by Caleb Bislow


I am not a risk-taker.  I usually stay on the "safe side". Caleb Bislow, author of the book Dangerous, would be my polar opposite! Caleb started out as a youth pastor, but became a person on mission in some of the most "dark, dangerous, and despised" places in our world.  He metaphorically calls it ministering on the 13th floor -- a place people usually try to avoid. He shares stories about his journeys to places like the Congo, villages in Africa, Haiti, Guatemala, and red-light districts in Asia.

The book is not an easy or comfortable read. We are exposed to "darkness" in places where the light of Christ has not shined. We are exposed to the sin and suffering of people groups that have not heard the name of Jesus yet. We get a glimpse of prison life, prostitution, human trafficking, and yet we see that the truth of the gospel can reach into hopelessness and bring peace. We see a need for courageous men and women to step up to a challenge. We see a need for us to listen for the leading of the Spirit of God, and then move in the direction He leads.

I believe God has created certain people, like Caleb, to take these great risks, and "boldly go where no one has gone before" and to train others to do the same. He is very deliberate in letting people know they need to be prepared before they venture out. The appendices of the book lists various organizations along with their websites, that interested readers could find further information. If God calls you to this "dangerous" mission, then GO!  If He doesn't, then do what he HAS called you to do here, where you are!

The book challenged me to look at myself and see what God has in store for me beyond my comfort zone. We don't have to go to third-world countries to find some of the same sin and suffering.  We have a lot of the same problems here!  Am I willing to go across the street, or across my own city, state, or country to share the hope I have in Jesus?  That, to me, could also be considered a HUGE risk for someone like me!
  
Dangerous is a book that will inspire you to do SOMETHING for the cause of Christ. You may not board the next plane to India (or maybe you will!) but this book will make you at least think about it!

I received a complementary copy of this book from the Bethany House Blogger program. The opinions are my own.



No comments:

Post a Comment