I have discovered over the years, that life can be challenging. God desires to sustain us as we look for "splashes of His grace" every day. My desire is that through posts, or book reviews, you may find something that points you to the grace of God, and that He ultimately will make a difference in your life.

Monday, November 2, 2009

An Overflowing Closet With Nothing to Wear

Men just don't understand how a woman can have a closet full of clothes and then say, "I have nothing to wear!" Women understand....and that's the situation I find myself in right now. As I searched through my closet to find something to wear, I realized just how much stuff I had that simply shouldn't be in there. I have clothes that no longer fit. Some are too small, and others too big. (O.K. -- there are not really that many that are too big -- too small, yes!) There are other garments that are what I call my "Old Faithfuls". They are out-of-date or have seen better days, but they are familiar and hard to part with. Then there are my "never to be seen wearing out in public -- lay around the house on a Saturday afternoon" clothes. Can anyone say sweatpants with elastic (or drawstring) waistbands?? And finally there are those few pieces of clothing that actually fit and are somewhat useable.

So, why don't I clean my closet out? If I was to be honest, the first reason is that it will take time -- a lot of time. Do I really want to spend hours trying things on and then deciding what to do with the stuff I can't wear anymore? The second reason I delay is because I know my closet will look empty if I get rid of the stuff. Then I'll feel like I have to spend money that I don't have to fill it up again -- it will be costly!

When I take an inventory of my "spiritual closet" I often find a similar situation. There's a lot of "stuff" in there also. It too could use a good cleaning out. I have things in there that just don't fit anymore. Attitudes or actions that are no longer becoming for a Christian woman. Have I hung on to my "old faithful" ways of thinking about God and failed to go beyond my comfort zone or expand my vision of what God can do in and through me? Do I feel too "comfortable" with habits or thoughts that I have but would never show in public? The answer is "yes". But, like my closet full of clothes, I have a decision to make. Will I take the time to sort through those things and allow the Lord to help me part with them, or will I view it as too time consuming or costly.

A decision must be made. Let's clean out our closets, and with the help of the Lord, we will be amazed at what a little freshening up, a touch of the iron, and a little reorganization can do! Let the Spirit fill the emptiness, and know it WILL be worth any cost!

"You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; to be made new in the attitude of your minds; and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness." (Ephesians 4:22-24)

No comments:

Post a Comment